Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Unexpected Ode

Ode to Math

Thou hast given me
A's and B's
Yet never any C's

Your generosity has
left me with
a house 
and a bed

No matter how 
simply you are
You still give me
a spinning head

Do not fret,
Dear Math
you are as close to me 
as the fingers on my hand.

Your imaginary numbers
And differential equations 
Are what give us 
light and warmth.

Oh beautiful Math,
You are found everywhere
yet never seen
nor appreciated...

Thank you Math
For building the roof
over thy head
And the wheels on my car

Thank you for the bridge
across the water
and the iphone 
in my pocket.

It is the calculators
That are beneath you,
And the computers
that become you.

Circles and Triangle 
use you...
But it's the squares
like me 
that love you
for your calculus!

And for your perfect 
ratio of peanut
butter and 
chocolate!

Oh Math,
Where would we
be without
thee?

2 comments:

  1. I love this because I personally would never write about math in the nice positive way you did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true it is that math is as close as the fingers on our hands! Like Kaitlin, I'm not a fan of math, but this made me appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete