Monday, February 4, 2013

Sestina


No words have been spoken,
but the subconscious jury gave verdict.
It's too late, your judgment was made.
Those daring blue eyes
give strength to the gavel.
Now let the sentencing begin.

There's no hope for friendship to begin,
words are lost before they were spoken.
Only the ring of the pounding gavel
will be heard over your silent verdict.
Untold stories behind hazel eyes,
memories must be forgotten...for they'll never be made

Your crude comments were made
and it is time for a new chapter to begin.
If only you could see the hurt behind green eyes...
Your actions were spoken
louder than any verdict,
but much quieter than the pounding gavel.

My heart sinks lower as the gavel
pounds. But it is time for a choice to be made.
I will have nothing to do with your personal verdict!
It is time for my life to begin
and no more will those words spoken
echo in my head, and no tears from my eyes

will fall. Your judgmental eyes
won't bother me no more. It is my turn with the gavel
now. I have spoken
true and my bed has been made.
My journey without you shall begin
This is my life and my verdict.

Let it sing out, let everyone know my verdict
is in. These green eyes
will never look your way. And my heart will begin
with the pounding of my gavel
And with the beat made
from African warrior drums! Not a word will be spoken.

Now silence your gavel!
And turn down those daring blue eyes
Because I have destroyed the words you have spoken!

1 comment:

  1. This is really effective. The situation of the poem is pretty clear. We have one person who is leaving a relationship. The tables have turned. The gavel is now in the speaker's hands. I get a real sense of power. I want to say, "You go girl!" to this speaker. Of course, those "daring blue eyes" can be very powerful.

    ReplyDelete